Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a procedure in which the gallbladder is removed by laparoscopic techniques. During a laparoscopic procedure, small incisions of up to half an inch are made and plastic tubes called ports are placed through these incisions. The laparoscope is then introduced through the port which allow access to the inside of the patient. The camera transmits an image of the organs inside the abdomen onto a television monitor. Your surgeon can then see your gallbladder on a television screen and do the surgery with tools inserted in other small cuts made in the right upper part of your abdomen. Your gallbladder is then taken out through one of the incisions.
Gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ that sits just below your liver on the upper right side of your abdomen. Your gallbladder collects and stores bile — a digestive fluid produced in your liver.
Reason for performing cholecystectomy:
A cholecystectomy is most commonly performed to treat gallstones and the complications they cause. Your doctor may recommend a cholecystectomy if you have:
1. Gallstones in the gallbladder (cholelithiasis)
2. Gallstones in the bile duct (choledocholithiasis)
3. Gallbladder inflammation (cholecystitis)
4. Pancreas inflammation (pancreatitis) due to gallstones.
What are gallstones?
Gallstones aren’t really stones. They're pieces of solid material that form in the gallbladder. Two main kinds of gallstones are
1. Cholesterol stones - these are usually yellow-green in color. They're the most common kind, accounting for 80% of gallstones, and
2. Pigment stones - these stones are smaller and darker. They're made up of bilirubin, which comes from bile, a fluid your liver makes and your gallbladder stores.
Cholecystectomy can be done in two ways. One is open cholecystectomy and the other is laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Open cholecystectomy involves a much wider incision while laparoscopic cholecystectomy involves minimal incision, which makes recovery quicker.
Benefits of daycare laparoscopic cholecystectomy:
With daycare laparoscopic cholecystectomy, you can go home the same day with just 8 hours of hospitalization required. This is the only hospital which offers daycare laparoscopic cholecystectomy treatment. The benefits are many, like less cost involved, reduced chance of bleeding, reduced risk of infection, shorter recovery time and many more.